Consumer Directed Personal Assistance Services/Program

What is The Consumer Directed Personal Assistance Services/Program?

The Consumer Directed Personal Assistance Program (CDPAP) is a statewide Medicaid program that provides an alternative way of receiving home care services, where the consumer has more control over who provides their care and how it is provided.


  • This Medicaid program provides services to chronically ill or physically disabled individuals who have a medical need for help with activities of daily living (ADLs) or skilled nursing services.
  • Services can include any of the services provided by a personal care aide (home attendant), home health aide, or nurse.
  • Recipients have flexibility and freedom in choosing their caregivers.
  • The consumer or the person acting on the consumer's behalf (such as the parent of a disabled or chronically ill child) assumes full responsibility for hiring, training, supervising, and – if need be – terminating the employment of persons providing the services.

Before a person can receive services, his or her doctor must send a completed Physician's Order for Services to the local social services district, which then completes a social and nursing assessment. A nurse assessor then determines whether the recipient can appropriately participate in CDPAP, and recommends the amount, frequency and duration of services.

Recipients must be able and willing to make informed choices regarding the management of the services they receive, or have a legal guardian or designated relative or other adult able and willing to help make informed choices.
The consumer or designee must also be responsible for recruiting, hiring, training, supervising and terminating caregivers, and must arrange for back-up coverage when necessary, arrange and coordinate other services; and keep payroll records.
It is the goal of CDPAP to allow individuals with disabilities and other medical conditions more control over their personal assistance services. This allows an individual the ability to manage his or her care and make decisions based upon his or her own individualized needs.

The Consumer’s responsibilities under the NYSDOH (New York State Department of Health) CDPAP are as follows:
(i) recruit, interview, hire, train, supervise and dismiss their personal assistant(s);
(ii) hire as many personal assistants as required to accommodate their health care needs and lifestyle;
(iii) develop a working relationship with their personal assistant;
(iv) receive assistance from New York Health Care in recruiting and training personal assistants, service coverage, and personnel management; and
(v) receive information on issues that impact individuals who receive home care.

NYHC’s responsibilities under the NYSDOH CDPAP are as follows:
(i) processing the weekly payroll for the Personal Assistants;
(ii) coordinating annual leave, health insurance, and other benefit programs for the Personal Assistants;
(iii) providing periodic nursing supervision;
(iv) providing assistance with recruiting, training, service coverage, and personnel management;
(v) creating an advisory committee that includes the Consumer, family members, medical professionals, and other advocates to oversee the quality of services being provided; and
(vi) providing continuing education and training opportunities for Personal Assistants.

Here's how it works

Step 1

Get Assessed

A nurse will visit you at home to determine if you are eligible for the CDPAP program. You will find out how many weekly horus of care you can get.

Step 2

Choose a caregiver

You choose a caregiver: your daughter, son, relative, or friend. We come to your home to enroll you in the program.

Step 3

You get care - they get paid

You get ongoing care from a person who loves you. They get peace of mind - becuase they are getting paid for the care they give.

Am I Eligible for this program?

If you...

Have Medicaid

Live in New York

Need help with day-to-day activities

You are likely eligible. Due to government regulations, Medicare is NOT enough.

Who can I hire as a caregiver?




Legal Spouse

Parent caring for a child under 21